When you’re the father/mother of a young kid, you have to be prepared to take him to a lot of appointments and check-ups, as well as going to the dentist, which is very important and required at such a small age.
So, when and how often you should take him to the dentist?
Essentially, the first appointment should be when her/his first tooth appears. (Obviously, why take him if he/she doesn’t have any teeth!)
Some things you’ll notice when taking him to his first dental appointment are:
- The dentist will examine his teeth (or tooth). He will do this just to make sure the teeth (or tooth) is changing the way is supposed to be.
- The dentist will examine his gums. He will want to make sure if the child has well-preserved gums and that the teeth below the surface are well-fitted.
- The dentist will make sure his general oral health is OK. He will check to see that your kid’s oral health - tongue, gums - looks well and healthy.
Also, there are a few things you need to keep in mind on why you should plan your kid’s first dental check-up:
- You need to make sure your baby feels cozy at the dentist’s office. A lot of kids sometimes feel a little bit uncomfortable when going to the dental office (Of course, all those lights and machines can be scary for them) so when you take them to their first dental appointment you should make sure they are familiar with the dentist’s office and you’re making for them a better and easier experience when going to the dental office.
- You need to request advice from the dentist. Sometimes the dentist is the best on giving you advice on how to feed your baby, if you should give him pacifiers, and some other health inquiries that can impact your child’s teeth and oral health. Remember, he’s one of the most qualified individuals who can assist you by maintaining the well-being of your child – put to good use the experience that he can offer you.
- This is the perfect time to have a bonding experience together. Going to the dentist for the first time is probably one of the memories that you can keep when growing up. Make it a extraordinary occasion – take a photo with him at the dental office, many dentists also have special toys and fun items for children at their office, take advantage of all of these things! The first dental visit is one of many other landmarks that confirm that your kid is growing up in healthy and firm conditions.
The first dental visit can be the beginning of a life cycle of strong dental habits and oral health. Keep in mind – as soon as the first tooth comes, it’s time to take your kid to the dentist! Enjoy it.
Schedule an appointment today with our dentist in Huntington Beach ... Call (714) 848-4247