It can happen that your gums bleed from time to time. This can be due to brushing or flossing a little too hard. However, if you notice regular bleeding gums, this is never a good thing and is not something you should ignore. We have come up with a list reasons why gums bleed most commonly and we’ve come up with ways to help reduce the bleeding:
- Gingivitis or gum disease. This is the leading cause of why gums bleed. Many patients are often unaware that they have it. Gingivitis can develop due to poor oral care habits and also by not visiting a dentist for a professional cleaning. Remember, even if you brush and floss as recommended, it’s still important to see a dentist every 6 months.
- Unhealthy diet: Let’s face it, you are what you eat. Maintaining an unhealthy diet will take a toll on your oral health and create a variety of deficiencies, many of which will make your gums bleed.
- Smoking: Smokers are at much higher risk of gum disease than non-smokers. It can also cause enlarged gums or fibrous, two things that you don’t want to happen!
- Stress: There are endless medical reports and studies that have been done that support the theory that stress can take have a negative effect on your overall and oral health. This too, can cause your gums to bleed.
- Family history: Maybe you have the genes for being prone to gum disease or have an unbalanced bite due to how you were made. Sometimes it’s not even about what you are or are not doing, but just by the way your body functions. We know, it’s unfortunate!
Whatever the reason, if you have gums that bleed regularly, we encourage you to visit us as soon as you can. It’s better to address the issue early because waiting can make it worse. Our dentist will discuss ways to treat the bleeding and also of ways to improve the condition of your gums. Please don’t hesitate to contact our dentist in Huntington Beach for your every dental concern!
Schedule an appointment today with our dentist in Huntington Beach ... Call (714) 848-4247